Product Development Intern
Back to the Roots is currently searching for a Product Development Intern to join us in Oakland California. We are looking for someone excited to join our passionate & energetic team to fulfill our mission of spreading the magic of gardening to every home in America.
ABOUT BACK TO THE ROOTS
It started with a random fact heard in a college class: mushrooms could be grown on spent coffee grounds. Alejandro Velez and Nikhil Arora's mutual curiosity about urban farming brought them together and after successfully growing their own crop of mushrooms, they gave up their corporate job offers to become full-time urban mushroom farmers in Oakland, CA.
Back to the Roots has evolved from a college kitchen experiment into a passion for urban gardening and a mission to reconnect families back to food. We want to inspire you to ask and learn where your food comes from and experience the magic of growing it. We've created a line of fun, simple, and educational organic indoor gardening kits to help you do just that. Our products are sold in thousands of stores nationwide and online at retailers like Target, Amazon, Costco, The Home Depot, and Lowes.
Each Back to the Roots team member contributes directly to the success of our mission. We pride ourselves on being a small-but-mighty team who work hard and have fun doing it.
To learn more, visit www.backtotheroots.com.
The Product Development Intern will work directly with and report to the Product Development Manager. Our team is small, so each individual – including interns – will contribute meaningfully to our work. The PD team holds responsibility over the entire innovation lifecycle, so as a team member some of your responsibilities will include to:
- Design and manage product performance testing in our grow lab. Recommend actions to be taken based on experiment results and analysis.
- Perform industry and product category research to support new product concept exploration.
- Assist with consumer insight collection through multiple channels. Synthesize resulting feedback to inform design requirements and product features.
- Contribute to new product brainstorm sessions with creative, out of the box thinking.
- Prototype and test new product concepts for performance analysis as well as user experience feedback.
- Work across company departments including Marketing, Operations, and Customer Service to aid with product-related inquiries.
- Previous experience with experiment design, execution, and analysis, preferably in a life science or plant-growing context.
- Familiarity with formal product development processes and frameworks.
- Training or experience in Design Thinking and/or Human Centered Design a huge plus.
- Experience conducting user research, interviewing, and product experience testing. Important emphasis placed on synthesis and presenting insights in a clear and persuasive manner.
- You are energetic and self-motivated--a critical thinker with fantastic organizational skills who can successfully manage multiple projects at one time.
- You have a do it yourself attitude, and have built things from scratch in the past.
- You're a skilled communicator and have an act for foreseeing opportunities and challenges before they arise.
- You don't fold under pressure, but instead, thrive on setting high expectations for yourself, managing multiple tasks simultaneously, and meeting goals.
- Most importantly, you are passionate about what we're doing at Back to the Roots!
- Time Commitment: Part-time or full-time, depending on candidate
- Duration: 8-12 weeks
- Compensation: Competitive and commensurate with experience
- Perks of BTTR:
- Opportunities to take ownership of projects as an intern, building tangible accomplishments for your growing resume.
- Direct exposure to a start up work culture - we move fast, adapt, and get sh*t done!
- Free snacks in the office, as well as catered lunch on Fridays