Vice President (VP) of Marketing
Back to the Roots is an Oakland, CA organic food company on a mission to Undo Food™ and reconnect families back with where it comes from! Through our ready to grow and ready to eat products, we want to build a new future for food — one where food is made in the kitchen, not a lab; and recipes aren't patented, but passed down. Whether you're growing your own food or enjoying our single-origin, farmer sourced cereal, we believe the underlying trust, transparency, and consciousness shouldn't change from the produce aisle to the grocery aisle. Learn more at: www.backtotheroots.com, or in these recent Forbes and New York Times articles.
Back to the Roots was named a 2013 Martha Stewart Top Ten American Made honoree and recognized by President Obama as Champions of Change. Back to the Roots is also a b.Corporation and supported by Fund Good Jobs (come get a good job with us!). In addition, co-founders Nikhil and Alejandro have been honored with several awards recognizing their efforts in sustainability and entrepreneurship including BusinessWeek’s “Top 25 Entrepreneurs under 25,” Inc.’s “30 Under 30,” Inc. 500, Forbes’ “30 Under 30,” and CNN’s “10 Next Entrepreneurs to Watch.”
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to join a small, incredibly talented & passionate team, work directly with the co-founders/co-CEO and be at the helm of growing one of the industry’s most exciting brands. Marketing at Back to the Roots is all about authentically, transparently, and passionately communicating our mission and values to our community. And we strive to make good food accessible to all through clear and well-designed communication that is fun, playful, and can speak to the whole family. With a line of award-winning products (and more in development!) in millions of homes nationwide, we're looking for an experienced, all-star VP of Marketing to join the company and help us develop/implement a cohesive marketing & innovation plan driven by both passion and smart analytics/insights to increase awareness and drive sales, both in brick-n-mortar retail/schools + online. You will work closely with the entire leadership team, and current Marketing, Prod Dev and Sales Teams in a very cross-functional role. The job will be demanding with lots of responsibility – as we scale product-lines and distribution, the opportunity and necessity for engaging, effective, and efficient marketing will be key to success.
- Develop and implement a cohesive annual, OMNI-channel marketing plan to support company's revenue and growth goals. Marketing at Back to the Roots should unite both the physical & digital seamlessly — tying together our communication strategy on our products, in our customer service, in our retail displays, in our social media, and other physical & digital assets.
- Design, review, and monitor the Marketing department’s budget to make sure we're delivering results most efficiently
- Take lead on creating and managing creative outreach strategies to media & influencers to help drive organic, earned media impressions
- Lead a cohesive brand growth strategy tying together marketing, insights, innovation, and company financial objectives
- Acquire and analyze necessary data to monitor and validate marketing campaigns — i.e. instore sell through rates, online CTR/CR rates, etc.
- Be responsible for the 5 P's across channels — product mix, price, promotion schedule, placement, and positioning.
- Prioritize marketing projects in a rapidly evolving environment and allocate resources accordingly
- Prepare regular reports and presentations on marketing metrics for the co-CEOs & Board of Directors
- Conduct market analysis/customer surveys to identify challenges and opportunities for growth
- Work with co-CEOs to manage and shape the Brand direction — visual identity, language, and positioning
- Participate in the quarterly and annual planning of the company’s objectives
- Deep passion for our mission
- Proven track record in senior marketing leadership position at fast-growing company — ideally in CPG, food / gardening industry preferred
- Demonstrable experience designing and implementing successful, national marketing campaigns
- Data-driven marketing background - we are looking to combine ROI-driven analytics with a heart-on-our-sleeves brand
- Solid knowledge of most current digital marketing tools and best-practices
- Extremely bright & high-energy, and who can work hard and have fun at the same time
- Very curious and self-motivated with an inner-drive to get better each day
- Passionate about productivity and improving processes
- Flexible and agile in response to changing priorities
- Happy with moderate travel for the role
- Proficiency with Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs, MS Office (basic proficiency in Adobe/other design programs a plus)
- Strong design eye (to guide designers)
- Proven leadership skills and ability to hire & grow a team